This. Is. Just. So. Good.
Oh, I could go on and on about the return of Fall. I could wax poetic on the changing of the leaves and the subtle chill in the air, I could swoon over the madly anticipated arrival of pumpkin spice lattes. Fall is my favorite season for all of those reasons and more and of course I could go on and on about it. So I will.
Some other time.
Right now you gotta go make this…..
Buttery, crumbly, cakey deliciousness delectably obscures a velvety layer of pumpkin perfection. (Whoa! That sentence alone should have been enough to sell you, I think I just used up all of the adjectives I know.) Dig down into that golden crisp, pecan studded crown of crunch and you’ll slip into a silky layer of cinnamon spiced pumpkin puree…..not quite pie, not quite pudding. But ALL Fall.
You just know this is going to be easy, don’t you?
7 ingredients! I can’t even stand it. The hardest thing you’ll have to do is figure out a good way to open that can of evaporated milk….I splattered mine all over the place (as usual – what is it with those can lids?) but once you get that accomplished mix that together with your can of pumpkin, cinnamon and sugar.
Pour this into a greased 9 x 13 shallow baking dish. Now open up that box of yellow cake mix, and gently sprinkle it over the pumpkin mixture. Just sorta let it float there.
Scatter some roughly chopped pecans over that, which you can always leave off if you’re not so much into nuts. Take that butter, pop it into the microwave for a quick little minute to melt and pour that evenly over the whole she-bang. Don’t mix! No stirring! You’ll end up with a sort of nutty butter pool. Which sounds pretty good if you ask me…….
Off this goes into your oven for ONE hour and FIVE minutes. Yes, really, one hour and five minutes..and after that you will have the most amazing pumpkin indulgence ever! Serve it hot, serve it room temp, serve it chilled. Purdy it up with a scoop of ice cream or maybe even this…..
Um, yeh….you can whip up some heavy cream. No sugar needed here, just a dash of vanilla. Give that pumpkin heaven a lovely little cloud to hang out in…..
and maybe a little dusting of cinnamon, just because we are fancy that way…….OR if you are REALLY wanting to get into the spirit of all things latte, some instant espresso powder on top….oh forget about it…..
Now go make someone happy. Like yourself.
- 1-15 ounce can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix!)
- 1- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 box yellow cake mix (any kind you like will do!)
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup of roughly chopped pecans
- Kosher salt
- Set the oven to 350°
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the prepared baking dish
- Evenly sprinkle the entire contents of the cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture, let it just "float" on top.
- Pour the melted butter evenly over this (I know...look away, look away) and dot with the pecans.
- Finish it off with a sprinkle of kosher salt or sea salt (not too much, just a pinch)
- Place in the 350° oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Serve this hot, serve this cold, serve at room temp.....with ice cream, or whipped cream, or just straight out of the baking dish!
- In the middle of the night...
- In the dark so nobody can see you......